Inria Lille -- Nord Europe, Mjolnir team
Batiment B, bureau B102
40, avenue Halley - Park Plaza
59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq, France
Phone: +33 (0)3 59 35 8785
sylvain dot malacria at inria dot fr
I am a research scientist (Chargé de Recherche) at Inria Lille, in the Mjolnir group. Prior to that, I did a 10 months post-doc with John Dowell in the UCL/BBC lab and a two years post-doc with Andy Cockburn at the University of Canterbury (New-Zealand). I did my Ph.D. with Eric Lecolinet at Télécom ParisTech, and passed my Master Graduate at UPMC in Artificial Intelligence with a speciality in HCI.
My research interests are in the areas of human-computer interaction (HCI), with additional focus on designing new interaction techniques. I especially focus on understanding and improving the transition from novice to expert mode in graphical interfaces. During my Ph.D., I worked on identifying which type of resources (software and hardware) can be used to enrich the input bandwidth.
ForceEdge: Controlling Autoscroll on Desktop and Mobile Computers Using the Force
(To appear CHI '17) [PDF] [VIDEO]
IconHK: Using Toolbar button Icons to Communicate Keyboard Shortcuts
(To appear CHI '17) [PDF] [VIDEO]
The Design, Use, and Performance of Edge-Scrolling Techniques
(IJHCS '16) [PDF] [Elsevier]
Push-Edge and Slide-Edge: Scrolling by Pushing Against the Viewport Edge
(CHI '15) [PDF] [VIDEO] [ACM]
Supporting Novice to Expert Transitions in User Interfaces
(CSUR '15) [PDF] [ACM]
Skillometers: Reflective Widgets that Motivate and Help Users to Improve Performance
(UIST '13) [PDF] [VIDEO] [ACM]
I am currently teaching computer science and HCI at both an undergraduate and postgraduate level at the University of Lille and Institut Villebon-Charpak.
- 2016 Co-supervisor with Géry Casiez of Axel Antoine Master 1 summer internship (University of Lille)
- 2016 Co-supervisor with Géry Casiez and Alix Goguey of Damien Masson undergraduate summer internship (University of Lille)
- 2016 Co-supervisor with Géry Casiez of Axel Antoine and Sofiane Rahahoui Master 1 projects (University of Lille)
- 2014 Supervisor of Hana Kim masters project. (University College London)
- 2012-2013 Assistant advisor of the first year of Philip Quinn's Ph.D. (University of Canterbury)
- Co-supervisor with Professor Cockburn of Joel Harrison honors project. (University of Canterbury)
- Program Commitee Member of the CHI 2017 conference (Interaction Techniques, Devices, and Modalities subcommittee).
- Program Commitee Member of the Mobile HCI 2016 conference.
- Program Commitee Member of Workshops for CHI 2014 and 2015 conferences.
- Program Commitee Member of 26th, 27th Conférence francophone sur l’Interaction Homme-Machine (IHM '14 and '15).
- Program Commitee Member of the Fifteenth Australasian User Interface Conference (AUIC 2014).
- Organization of the ACM SigCHI Paris "Interfaces de demain" showcase, July 7 2011, Paris.
- Meetings management on Human Computer Interaction at Telecom ParisTech
- Opportunities and limits of Adaptive User Interfaces at the Technology and Routines workshop, June 27-28 2016, Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, Munich, Germany.
- Computing tools to empower users, UCLIC seminar, November 19 2015, University College London, United Kingdom.
- Improving user’s expertise with user interfaces at SIGCHI Paris, February 7 2014, University Paris-Sud, France.
- Improving user’s intermodal expertise, July 9 2013, UCL/BBC London Media Technology Campus, United Kingdom.
- The design and evaluation of mechanisms promoting hotkey use: April 19 2014 at Inria Bordeaux,
France and April 25 2014 at Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany.
- Touch-based interactions at the Interfaces de demain showcase, July 7 2011, Paris.
- Bell-labs open days, May 11-13 2011, Villarceaux.
- Paris Region Innovation Tour 2008, 19th of November 2008, Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie, Paris.
I frequently serve as a reviewer for the main HCI conferences, especially:
- ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI).
- ACM Symposium on User interface software and technology (UIST).
- ACM Conference on Interactive Tabletops and Surfaces (ITS).
- ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI).
- IFIP TC13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT).
- The interdisciplinary journal of Human-Computer Interaction (Interacting With Computers).
- ACM Conférence francophone sur l’Interaction Homme-Machine (IHM).